Friday, October 12, 2012

Size Matters: Building the Mark IV

 A while back I acquired a couple of Wargames Foundry Mark IV tank kits.  These "old" style 25mm scale miniatures were cast entirely in metal.  As such they stand in contrast to the "modern" trend among manufactures to produce hybrid models, cast primarily in resin, supplemented by metal detailing.  The Foundry Mark IVs were sturdy and compact, relatively simple to construct, producing a very presentable model for the tabletop.  Friends commented on just how heavy they were.


I ended up with the Foundry Mark IVs largely by trading other unwanted portions of my collection.  In past years I've collected over 200 Foundry First World World miniatures.  The're slightly smaller than the more recent products produced by manufactures and generally favored by many wargamers, which tend towards 28mm scale.  I'm thinking here of the superbly detailed figures produced by Great War Miniatures and Brigade Games.  The Foundry figures are smaller and subtler, more generic in their poses, but nevertheless attractive when massed on the battlefield.  I've found that despite differences in scale, Great War and Foundry can mix acceptably on a nicely detailed wargames table

Having purchased the Old Glory membership, I thought I'd take advantage of their discount by buying up a few more Mark IVs.  I'd already bought some OG Trench Wars figures and found them compatible in size with WF, if a little more animated in their poses.  I was therefore expecting the tanks to fit in nicely together as well.  Hence my surprise when I opened the box to find models significantly larger than those produced by Foundry.



L-R above: Great War German sniper: Wargames Foundry British infantry ; Old Glory British mortar

So my question is this.  Where do I go from here?  A mixed unit of Foundry and Old Glory Mark IVs just doesn't seem appropriate.  While ostensibly made according to the same scale, they just seem too different to work together as a unit.  I could make the OG tanks into captured British tanks, now in the service of the Kaiser.  Or I could simply return them to the vendor, bite the bullet and fork out the cash for the more expensive Foundry Mark IVs.  Comments as always are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Quite a size difference. Too much to mix so it looks like one or the other. Keep the Foundry tanks... you have done a good job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a big difference. Agree with Mark, can't mix them. I do agree about the fig's. I have a mix of old Foundry WW1 as well as GW, Brigade, Renegade and OG. Although different in scale , they don't look too bad on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends how picky you are. If the tanks are right next to each other then it's very noticeable, but perhaps when not close together it won't be so bad a difference.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, tough one...

    Hmm, if it were me I think I'd sell the Foundry models on ebay and go fully with the Old Glory models. That way you could use the proceeds from the Foundry sales to finance your new replacements. Nonetheless, you did a great job on those models...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out Assam Class 10 Textbooks PDF 2021 of all subjects. Secondary Education Board of Assam (SEBA) issues the standard textbooks for classes 1 to 10th. These textbooks are available on the official website of State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT). These study books play an important role for the students by giving the right information regarding the subject. Assam HSLC Syllabus pdf Due to the present situation of COVID-19 and lockdown period, students will have more time to prepare for Board Exams. So, in our Exam Updates website, we are going to provide the Study Materials, Textbooks PDF, Study Books which will helpful for HSLC students. Assam Class 10th Textbooks PDF.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment